Sunday, January 02, 2011

the second ten

Note: I alluded to the fact that this is a fluid list. So fluid, in fact, that I already switched out a song from yesterday! So there are actually eleven new songs today, with one song dropping off.
AC/DC-"Back in Black"-I'll forever associate this song with carnival rides.
Arcadia-"Election Day"-Most of you have probably only heard the "single" version. Go listen to the album version, and it'll be like listening to the song for the first time.
Belinda Carlisle-"I Get Weak"-Hey, at least it's not a freaking boy band!
Cindy Lauper-"She Bop"-What's funny is that radio stations had no problem playing this song in 1984, but "I Want Your Sex" caused an uproar in 1987.
Hall and Oates-"Method of Modern Love"-Someone bet Hall that he couldn't rewrite the Mickey Mouse song into a modern hit.
Men at Work-"Overkill"-Can we please have a return of the saxophone?
The Motels-"Only the Lonely"-Like I said, more saxophone!
Prince-"Purple Rain"-I didn't like this song when I was twelve years old.
Soft Cell-"Sex Dwarf"-Isn't it nice, sugar and spice, luring disco dollies to a life of vice. Was covered by NIN early on in the PHM touring, with video available on youtube.
XTC-"Majors and Generals"-The most overlooked band in the history of music. Really.