Friday, September 16, 2005

Encountering James

I'm in the middle of reading Washington Square this week. Christy had the book hidden away in a drawer, and when we rearranged our second bedroom for staging purposes said drawer was opened. Never having read Henry James, my curiosity was piqued.

This novel is not plot heavy. In fact, I'm on Chapter 11, and the events so far can be related in one sentence: A young woman is being pursued by a jobless and wayward suitor, with her disapproving father looking on. That's pretty much it. James provides glimpses into the minds of multiple characters, though the point of view is mostly restricted to an omniscient narrator for comprehension's sake. The young woman is described as being "not clever." It is not often in literature that the heroine is a dummy.

I have no idea where the book is going. Unpredictable is good. I just hope it is going somewhere.